Monday, March 9, 2009

word of advice #1

Here's the first of what is bound to be many insightful tips from the life of a new publicist: Read your email over at least three times before sending it to a reporter.

Brilliant tip, yes, this I know.

Too bad I haven't learned to follow it yet.

Case in point: I sent a press release out to several Texas media outlets today about an author on tour there. It wasn't until I sent out the release to about five reporters that I finally noticed I listed the location as Forth Worth, Texas. Awesome.

4 comments:

amelia said...

But it's so entertaining for reporters!

Natalie | Make Today Great said...

I totally agree. I've been caught on this. But I'm so confused - I've googled this twice - isn't it Fort Worth?

"Welcome to the City of Fort Worth, Texas"

There's the Forth Worth Star Telegram and all...

Leigh said...

Other tip: re-read blog posts before posting. Check the now-edited post for my initial mistake: Forth Worth. Nice catch Natalie.

And Amelia, I know. As a reporter I would totally make fun of PR people like me who messed up with something stupid. At least I still have my AP style down.

Angela Curtis said...

Trust me -- people in Fort Worth won't notice.