Monday, December 8, 2008

that's ... different




So my name is in the Deseret News today. No, not as a reporter, but as a "spokeswoman for Deseret Book." Yeah, that feels weird.

Update on the job: I love it. It's a total change of pace. It's amazing to see how stressed I was in the newspaper world. Now, not so much. I'm lucky enough to have some amazing people at work mentoring me and teaching me the ropes of the PR world. I've already made what I believe will be lifelong friends in just a few short weeks.

The Joseph Smith Papers (and the fact they are flying off the shelves) kept me busy all day today. A lot of my time lately is spent working on getting publicity for the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. They are such a great group to work with. I was fortunate enough to finally meet the director, Mack Wilberg, the other day and he was such a kind man. I'm so excited for the big concert this weekend with one of my favorite Broadway stars, Brian Stokes Mitchell.

Other than that, I'm just busy planning things for our spring books. Its sure nice not to have to worry about daily deadlines and instead focus on the big picture. Looking back, after more than two months on the new job, I definitely feel like I made the right decision.

4 comments:

Angela Curtis said...

I'm glad your life is better now. I suspected it might be. (But please don't forget your hardened former editor.) Also, thanks for the help the other night. I don't blame you for laughing at me.

Mrs. Dub said...

I always knew I should have stuck with PR. But it will always be fun to look back on your reporter days.

amelia said...

Remember how we used to always make fun of PR people? NOW YOU ARE ONE OF THEM.

But seriously, I'm glad you're liking the new job.

JaPinoy said...

I'm trying to go that route too. :) I'll let you know what happens... -Jill