Tuesday, May 27, 2008

d.c.

Alas, this is a week late, but I'm finally blogging about my trip to D.C.



One word: amazing. As a total patriotic history nerd, I relished every story and asked lots of questions. The only problem with going in mid-May is that Congressman Rob Bishop had a new intern, and he wasn't the greatest tour guide. He couldn't answer any of my questions really. But even still, I loved my tour of the U.S. Capitol.



The architecture is amazing, and it was fun to see the similarities with the Utah Capitol building. I took several snapshots (which you can find in the slide show). I was sad that when we were sitting in the House gallery, Nancy Pelosi wasn't there. She made someone else serve as speaker in her stead. Oh well, her loss for not getting to see me up in the gallery.

Friday night we visited most of the monuments. They were gorgeous. I love how you can stand at the Lincoln Memorial and look across the National Mall and see the World War II Veterans Memorial, the Washington Monument, and the U.S. Capitol all lit up in the night sky. I took my time at several monuments to reflect, and was brought to tears at the many veterans memorials, thinking about all the servicemen who have died. It made me think of the many families I have interviewed the day they found out their son was killed in action, and it made me grateful that these servicemen are willing to put their lives on the line for our freedom.

We had an amazing tour guide for the trip. Sarahanne seemed to know all the little details about every place she took us, and I grilled her if she didn't. While she was at work, Caprene and I went out on the town and visited places she recommended. I was a fan of the Spy Museum. I don't think it was worth $18, but when you don't pay to go into any other museums, you feel like it's OK to spend a bit for a sweet museum about spies.

Saturday we visited Arlington National Cemetery. I was in awe of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and reverence the servicemen there have while on duty. I was also lucky enough to watch the Changing of the Guard. The rose garden there was gorgeous, and the views of the city were amazing from Arlington House. I also enjoyed the eternal flame on JFK's grave.



That night, I went to my first Major League Baseball game. We drove up to Baltimore to see the Orioles take on the Nationals. Camden Yards was a gorgeous park, and the game was great (I was worried it would be a blowout, but luckily it was a close one). We had dinner, and munched on peanuts and cotton candy.

We picked a good time of year to visit. It wasn't too hot, and there weren't TOO many tourists. We did have to dodge packs of eighth graders though. They were everywhere. Our visit to the Aerospace Museum was, honestly, annoying because of all the loud kids. However, I insisted on going because I'm fascinated with airplanes.

I got a kick out of the White House. We just walked by real quick before meeting Sarahanne for lunch. A small group of protesters was outside pleading to free Palestine or something. Kind of funny. I think random tourists were jumping in and grabbing signs, and they even had a little girl yell into the mic and lead the cheers.



My favorite part of the trip, however, was just hanging out at the National Press Club. My friend, Sarahanne, works there and showed me around. They have quite the collection of historic front pages. I loved that, and would have paid money to see them. I was able to meet some reporters who work out there, and it made me imagine what it would be like to work out there and be a member of the club. They are in the middle of it all. The club is just a block or so from the White House, and minutes from the National Mall. Everything politically important happens there. I can't imagine working out there.

We ended our trip with a tour of the Washington Monument. The views from the top were amazing.




Now, I was supposed to fly out Monday night, but missed my flight. I don't get it. I was checking carrying on a bag, and tried to check it 45 minutes before the flight. Well I get to the counter, and the lady says, "Uh oh." Apparently I was there 43 minutes before the flight, and they don't let people check in any later than 45 minutes before the flight. What a croc! I was so angry.

In the end it all worked out. I had another fun night hanging out with Sarahanne (Caprene made her flight). We went to a softball game and watched TV. I even managed to write a story for the paper because I felt bad I missed my flight. I ended up flying standby the next day and made all my connections and made it back in time for County Council meeting.

I really want to go back again. There are several things I wanted to see that I didn't get to. I just don't think you can fit everything in in that amount of time. I've put Sarahanne on notice that I'm planning on returning. Luckily she's offered her place again if I ever come back.

6 comments:

amelia said...

Fun trip! Isn't DC cool?

Batman Forever said...

Next time, I'm going with you.

Lisa/Scott said...

I went to D.C. in June of last year...(if you want to be really really diligent you can look at my slides of it in my "older posts? cause it's there.) It was really beautiful, and I loved that everything was within walking distance.

Brandon and Becca said...

You've made me want to go again too. I didn't realize some of the fun things I missed. You have way too much fun traveling.

Cichelli said...

Was this your first time in DC? Seriously? You never came to visit me? I'll take you anytime and tell you more details than you can handle. Plus, I can get you INSIDE the White House. I'm a good friend to have.

I'm in San Fran until Sunday. Let's hang out next week. Pick a day, any day (but not Wed or Thurs).

doug said...

NOOOO! I missed your DC trip?! AAARGH!