Saturday, May 10, 2008

elections with the stars



I'm back, and slogging through a long day of work at the Utah Republican Convention at UVSC today. I arrived back in the Beehive State last night after an amazing trip to Florida this past week (I'll post more on that when I get some time).

I'm loving wandering around my old stomping grounds (UVSC) and seeing how much it's changed. The Hall of Flags is still the same. Lots of flags, and lots of chairs to sit and people watch.



The cafeteria is totally different. It's fancy. Nothing like when I was there (1999-2001). There are a ton of new buildings either completed or under construction. It's like a whole new school.



But perhaps the most exciting part of the day is the many "stars" I've encountered at today's convention. Carmen Rasmussen, of American Idol fame, sang the national anthem, and I met Bruce Hough, papa of Julianne and Derek of "Dancing With the Stars" fame. Love it. Gotta love Utah reality stars. Here is Hough giving his speech for national committeeman.



UPDATE: I can't believe I forgot the biggest star of the day. LAVELL. He only needs one name, but for those of you who don't know who he is, go check out a BYU football game at LaVell Edwards Stadium. The former Cougar coach is a life-long Republican, and he was here today supporting his daughter-in-law, Becky Edwards. She had a pretty good day, pushing incumbent Rep. Paul Neuenschwander, R-Bountiful, to a primary election in June.

Oh, and make sure to check out Joe Pyrah's blog at the Daily Herald, where he gave me a shout-out for naming Chris Cannon's election booth.

3 comments:

Batman Forever said...

I'm so jealous you met the Hough's dad. Did you get an autograph?

Leigh said...

Funny thing is when I met him, I had no idea who he was. I recognized his last name but then walked off. Then during his speech, he mentioned his famous children. Who knew!

amelia said...

HAHAHA, mingling with the Utah B-list stars! Hurray!