Friday, November 21, 2008

sharing the love

Christmas is a month away, and if you're like me, you have no idea what to get the many people on your list.

My family knows they will be receiving a Deseret Book Christmas this year. They've all flipped through the catalog and made their picks.

So, in the spirit of giving, here are some gift ideas I'm considering for my friends and family. Feel free to steal the ideas, and use this coupon to get a nice discount.




My top pick: Reflections of Christ -- This project is close to my heart, as I have spent every day since I started at this new job looking at these beautiful images of the Savior. The book makes you feel like you are personally witnessing the Savior's most awe-inspiring moments. This is a great missionary tool and is non-denominational. Then, there is an amazing DVD that not only has a touching slide show of the images coupled with beautiful music, but a documentary DVD with the photographer, and my good friend, Mark Mabry, sharing his testimony of how this project has changed his life.


Top Christmas Book: The Miracle of the Wooden Shoes by Deborah Pace Rowley -- This is a marvelous book and tells the story of a 10-year old boy finding special gifts at Christmas time inside his wooden shoes, which is a German tradition. The website says: “For many nights, his wooden shoes are filled and needful gifts continue to appear, each with a scroll and scripture testifying of Jesus Christ. Then one morning, Walter and his family receive the best gift of all.” It's a great Christmas message for any family.

Must have for singles: A Single Voice by Kristen M. Oaks Believe me when I tell you this book is inspiring. Sister Oaks was single until her early 50s, and went through the struggles we all face. Her life is much different now, as she wed Elder Dallin H. Oaks. Even still, she understands the struggles. In the book Sister Oaks urges single members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to “rewrite the dream.” “If you sit and wait, you’re asking life to dominate you, when you have the opportunity to go out there and make your life wonderful,” Sister Oaks said. It’s a message that applies to all – single or married, young or old, male or female: the unexpected life is no less a life. Here's a link to an article I wrote about the book for LDS Living.

Great gift for missionaries: Let Him Ask of God by Lloyd D. Newell This book is a beautiful collection of inspired messages from the life and teachings of Joseph Smith with insightful commentary by my old BYU religion instructor -- the man behind Music and the Spoken Word.

The gift I should buy my dad: Mine Errand From the Lord by President Boyd K. Packer This book is an encyclopedia of gems from President Packer's lifetime of teachings. It's a great resource for anyone compiling a talk or lesson. Check out this video for more info:



Those are just a few of my favorites. I have a laundry list of books I want to read, but don't have time for.

Get out there and use this coupon fast. It expires on Nov. 30, and feel free to pass the coupon on to your friends. And Happy Gift Giving!

3 comments:

Angela Curtis said...

I'm happy that you're enjoying your new job. A little less depressing than newspapers, maybe? Of course, you're amazing no matter what.

Natalie | Make Today Great said...

I had my parents bring Reflections of Christ to me from Utah -- all because of you!!

But whoops, I found out that they bought it from Seagull, or as my mom still calls it Templeview! I hope you still get some credit!

Choose The Wright said...

Wonderful article about Sis. Oaks.
Hey, I bought the Mabry DVD for everybody in my presidency!