Friday, September 5, 2008

two weeks notice

I quit my job today.

I can't believe I just wrote those words. I always imagined myself as a career woman at the Deseret News. I figured I'd work there for life, or at least until I got married and hopefully didn't have to work anymore.

But life changes, goals shift and I found myself feeling like I needed to try something new. The newspaper industry is a scary business right now, and I felt like I had to go out there and learn a new skill.

Luckily, another company decided to let me develop these new skills. I am now the newest publicist at Deseret Book. I got the job offer yesterday, and officially accepted the position today. I never imagined this life change, but I welcome it. It feels right.

I'm excited for for something new, yet hesitant to leave a company and co-workers who have become a second family to me. I've been at the Deseret News for five-and-a-half years now. They hired me as an intern two months before I graduated from BYU. I quickly signed on in a full-time role a few months later.

I was quickly thrown into some big stories, like this one below, when a local girl was murdered by her husband and the national media came in throngs. (Can you spot me?)

I've done a little bit of everything in my time at the News. I've experienced things most people will never get to do. I'll never forget the sight of those tired, weary people lined up outside the New Orleans airport seeking shelter from Hurricane Katrina. Or the people lined up with one injury after another in the baggage claim area (which was transformed into a triage area).

I'll never forget meeting Iraqi Marines in the middle of the Persian Gulf. Majad, who waved incessantly at me whenever saw each other. Or the other guy, who swore I spoke and read Arabic, and finally started writing in my notebook to get me to understand (sorry, still can't read Arabic). Oh and I can't forget the one who insisted I was Martina Hingis.

I'll never forget the thrill of watching an F-15 land on the USS Teddy Roosevelt while I stood on the deck, or the uncertainty of sitting in a plane actually landing on the aircraft carrier (and hoping the hook attached to the wire).


And who can say they stood next to the head of the famous toppled Saddam Hussein statue.


But really I'll never forget the many people, friends, sources and co-workers I have met in my time at the Deseret News. I hope I won't lose that going into this new adventure.

My official start date at Deseret Book is Sept. 22. I will relish my last two weeks at the Deseret News.

9 comments:

Brandon and Becca said...

Congrats on the new job! That is so exciting. You have done some amazing stuff with the newspaper, but I'm sure there is more fun stuff to come. Oh, and happy birthday a few days late. I meant to call, but I forgot. Sorry.

Batman Forever said...

Who knows what adventures Deseret Book will bring. You are making the right choice and I know it was tough. I look forward to hearing about the new things happening to you. Have fun.

Andreas V said...

That is so cool Leigh! It just sounds so exciting! You will probably miss journalism in some ways, but now you get to try something new. And maybe it will be more security for you. I know you'll be great at whatever you decide to do in your life. You were always a go getter. I laugh every time I think of how you would gather all of our stuff and take it out on the lawn with Jenny Helms so you could sell it. I think you were only 5! Always an entrepreneur! So funny! Anyways, congratulations!

Jacks said...

This is so exciting. I'm living vicariously - again! I can't wait to hear about the life of a publicist.

amelia said...

Hey - you went public with the blog again! My RSS feed never picks up on your blog anymore, since you're always private...but it just did!

Congrats girl! What a job change! Can't wait to hear about the publicist post...when do you start?

And bummer, this probably means you'll never have to work nights, weekends or holidays again...so sad.

Mrs. Dub said...

Three cheers to you for trying something new. I always fancied myself a publicist, so now I can live vicariously through you. The D-News was mosdef an experience I'll never forget, and I only got a taste. I think being a reporter is the best way to start any career.

Congrats and good luck to you!

Lisa/Scott said...

wow. At first I gasped when you said you quit, but when you mentioned your new job I understood. Crazy that another chapter in your life is through. I liked reading about all the stuff you've done...it's great that you've been able to see the world and what's in it to appreciate the life you live. My mission taught me a lot of that too.

L and T said...

Congrats Leigh! Tell Sheri and her posse that I'll see them at Time out for Women in Vegas. Will you be there?

Meredith said...

Leigh!!!! You got the JOB!!! Yayyyy! Congrats sister, you so deserve it. Miss you lots and lots and lots...