Thursday, June 26, 2008

a night at the theater

After a year of anticipation, The Drowsy Chaperone finally came to town, and it did not disappoint. I've been in love with this show since I first saw it in L.A. before it moved to Broadway. How you could not love the tap dancing, a crazy theater fanatic narrator, and a song about a monkey. Seriously. Can't beat that.


I was a little worried that the cast wouldn't be up to par with the folks I saw on Broadway (especially considering Sutton Foster -- my ultimate favorite -- was the original Janet Van De Graaff). But, to my pleasant surprise, the touring cast was actually really good. Highlights included Jonathan Crombie as Man in Chair (the narrator, who just happened to star as Gilbert Blythe in Anne of Green Gables) and Georgia Engel as Mrs. Tottendale (yes, THE Georgia Engel of Mary Tyler Moore Show, Coach, and Everybody Loves Raymond fame).

Sadly, the house was not packed. But the empty seats spell good things for me -- half price rush tickets. Expect to see me back at the show this weekend.

4 comments:

Andreas V said...

I've never heard of this show. Sounds fun. Sounds like a great cast!

amelia said...

My cousin saw this last night (her husband's parents actually wrote it!) and also gave rave reviews. We'll have to check it out!

Unknown said...

Jealous. I want to see this show. The video we saw just doesn't cut it, and I didn't see the whole thing.

Choose The Wright said...

sutton foster didn't bother to show up to the matinee of Thoroughly Modern Millie I saw at the marriott marquis...BOO SUTTON