Monday, January 28, 2008

farewell

























I'm still in shock over the news of President Hinckley's death. He's been a spiritual giant my entire life. He was first called the First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1981, the year I was born. I was just a freshman in high school when he was sustained as prophet.

Yes, I know life will go on, a new prophet will take the reins, and the church will continue to be true, but I can't help but be a little said President Hinckley is gone.

I'll never forget the feeling that came over me that first time I went to general conference in the conference center. The room was noisy, as everyone was chatting with their neighbors. Then, all of a sudden it felt like the spirit came in a slapped me with silence. The whole entire conference center of 25,000 plus, fell silent, as the prophet walked in. That's power. Most of us couldn't even see him there, but we could feel his presence.

He slowly walked in, paused and then gleefully raised his cane and flashed a smile. I won't ever forget that feeling.

Luckily I was able to be a part of the coverage of President Hinckley's death. Yes, my sister might be from Oregon, but Betsy Batman made it in the Salt Lake City newspaper today. I interviewed her and wrote a little ditty about how her ward found out about our beloved prophet's passing. She's in the story titled "World Mourns Beloved Leader." Her comments are at the end of the article (you can find it below. Just click on it to make it bigger).

4 comments:

Natalie | Make Today Great said...

This story has made me want to be back in Utah. From a journalist's perspective, a Mormon perspective, a Utahn perspective. It's hard to be away from the homefront.

Batman Forever said...

Does that make me famous now? I'm in a Salt Lake newspaper. I'm free for autographs anytime!

Leigh said...

I must be a freakin' rock star, Bets, since I'm in the paper all the time!

Natalie | Make Today Great said...

It's there babe, it's there. Shout out is in full form, complete with a reference to Chuck making me gather info for obits with David Hinckley (remember him?). It was a slow day in the newsroom.